I am glad that you have found my blog and I hope you will take few minutes to explore.
Please leave a comment if you can. I love reading your messages, they brighten up my day :-)
I like to answer you all, but if you are "noreply-comment" blogger (if your email address is not linked to your profile), I will not be able to answer you, unless you leave your email address with your comment.
Welcome!



Saturday, 18 December 2010

baking for christmas


After a week without any snow, it is back again. This morning we woke up to a very different scene from that of yesterday.

I will not be going very far today. We live on the top of a hill and the road through our village very rarely sees a gritting lorry.


The best thing to do is to enjoy the scene


and build a snowman


I took a picture of my neighbour's logs, there might be an idea for an embroidery sometime in the future.



By the afternoon the temperature is dropping and the best place is back inside. Time for some Christmas baking. When I was small, my mother used to bake several kinds of Christmas biscuits every year.
I don't make as many as she used to, but I still like to make a few, it reminds me of all those Christmas times a long time ago.



Vanilla and almond crescents and "bear's paws", made from walnuts..


Our house suddenly smells like Christmas.

7 comments:

  1. wow, those biscuits look so good, wouldn't it be good if we could sample the aroma on blogger!!
    The snow looks beautiful but I cannot imagine not being able to get in the car and go whenever I please.
    Do take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Radka,Your scene looks much like mine - Gritter lorry what are they. Their reserved for towns and motorways :-)
    Those biscuits sound delicious, how about sharing the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahoj Radko, to jsi byla pilna!
    Pracny neboli medvedi tlapky ja tez miluju!
    Hezke svatky preje
    Jana z Hamburku

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly the same here in southern Germany in our village, the snow and the gritter lorries, even the little almond croissants - Kipferl - are the same in our household. DH was baking them, we give away little bags with different little cakes to neighbours. Tomorrow we will travel to France to spend Christmas there.
    I wish you merry Christmas days and a good start into the new year.
    Anneliese

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your little biscuits made me think of the Christmas's when I was a little girl. My mother was from Germany, and my Omi (Grandmother) used to send a parcel for us which always had German biscuits and sweets, and a pink marzipan pig for my Dad (he hated marzipan but didn't like to say so!) At that time it was impossible to buy continental things in the UK, and we even had to book a telephone call on Christmas Day. The operator would phone us to connect us with Dusseldorf at a pre-arranged time. My youngest daughter and family have gone to Melbourne to stay with her inlaws, and we will Skype on Christmas Day - so easy and free! Haven't times changed?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Radka, what a winter wonderland you have in front of you. I know it's cold and a nuisance, but it looks lovely in it's icy glory. Love those logs. Our's are just wet from the rain we've had in the last couple of day.

    The biscuits look delicious and inviting. I would love you to share your recipe too if that is okay. Again, despite my European forebears, I have very little knowledge of those traditions.

    What a lovely photo of yourself. It is so nice to see you, and have a visual picture of the person who has become a wonderful friend. Thank you also for taking the time to look at my blog, and comment regularly. Take care in the treacherous conditions if you need to go out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Radka,

    Those are the exact crescents my mother used to make! I am Christmas baking today with my DDs and your biscuits have made me all nostalgic.

    Please would you share your bear paw recipe? I misplaced mine years ago and I would love to bake it again.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit! Your comments are always welcome:))
I like to reply to all your comment, so please leave your e-mail address, if it is not already liked to your blog profile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

© http://pleasureinstitching.blogspot.co.uk 2010-2017