I am glad that you have found my blog and I hope you will take few minutes to explore.
Please leave a comment if you can. I love reading your messages, they brighten up my day :-)
I like to answer you all, but if you are "noreply-comment" blogger (if your email address is not linked to your profile), I will not be able to answer you, unless you leave your email address with your comment.
Welcome!



Saturday, 15 January 2011

books

I am little bit in a stitching limbo at the moment. I haven't anything new to show, although I have decided to resurrect my largest UFO, but I will show that later.

So, in the meantime I will show you a couple of books.




The first one only just arrived, "Quilt Artistry" by Yoshiko Jinzenji. I saw it on Deborah's blog (thank you, Deborah, for sharing this). I want to find some time this weekend to read it, but just browsing through I am taken by the beauty of Yoshiko's quilts and the subtle colours she works with.


















The second book, "Croatian National Costumes", has been on my bookshelf for some years now. I bought it during one of my visits to Croatia. Written in both Croatian and English, it is a beautiful book, a real treasure. It is a visual feast and an inspiration for anyone interested in embroidery and folk art. Croatian culture is very diverse, with many influences, from surrounding countries of the former Austro-Hungarian  Empire, the old Venetian Republic and the Ottoman Turkish Empire, and over the centuries all this has been reflected in their national costumes.
I will show just a few pictures, but you can find more pictures here.
















I have yet to find a similar book from a country of my origin. So, any Czech bloggers out there, if you'll come across one, please let me know.  We also have a very rich history and I would love to own a similar book about Czech national costumes.


The art in which there is life does not depict the past, but continues it.
(Auguste Rodin)

7 comments:

Juliettecherry said...

These pictures show such intricate stitching, colourful and must have taken considerable time to do.

Anneliese said...

You presented two wonderful books, Radka.

Barbara said...

Hi,
This is such an amazing book ... you much be completely taken with it! I am looking forward to seeing you UFO's ... as I too have many!
Very best wishes,
Barbara

QUILT ROUTES said...

Thanks for the mention Radka. It is one of my favourite books.
Deborah

Annemariesquilt said...

Great books..
I hope you find your sewingmood soon ;-)

Linda said...

Hello Radka, only just catching up again. Both books look fascinating, and I hope you have had the time to enjoy them. The quilts are just beautiful. The colour and workmanship of the costumes/embroidery is outstanding. Thanks so much for drawing out attention to these.

Марья said...

Greetings, Radka. A beautiful embroidery and clothes. The national clothes are really very interesting in all countries. I wish your good luck.)))

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

© http://pleasureinstitching.blogspot.co.uk 2010-2017