I am glad that you have found my blog and I hope you will take few minutes to explore.
Please leave a comment if you can. I love reading your messages, they brighten up my day :-)
I like to answer you all, but if you are "noreply-comment" blogger (if your email address is not linked to your profile), I will not be able to answer you, unless you leave your email address with your comment.
Welcome!



Sunday, 24 June 2012

Sweden 2012 - part 1

I am back from our holiday trip, lasting 3 weeks and 2,000 miles.
Thank you very much for your good wishes and concerns. I am not a mobile blogger, so my pictures have been stored in my camera, waiting to be downloaded and sorted on my return.
I will try to share some of them with you. As I am using my blog as a journal, bare with me.

It is a late afternoon, 31 May, and after some 200 miles drive to Harwich, on the east coast, we are waiting to board an 18 hour ferry to Denmark, final destination: Sweden. As we are no longer able to take a direct ferry to Sweden or Norway, this has been the only route to reach Sweden from UK by car for the past few years.


The crossing was bad, by anybody's standard. The nearly empty breakfast restaurant was a proof of that, with most people preferring to stay in the comfort of their cabin, me including. DH is much better at this then I am.
By midday we arrived in Denmark, to a windy and a cold drive across, stopping only when necessary. Early evening, a short ferry crossing and we are in Sweden. A couple of hours later we are there, our holiday home for the first week of our stay in Sweden.



This little wooden cottage, dating from  around 1920, is being lovingly looked after my the owners, Erik and his wife, who live by the lake across the road, in this small settlement.





Some pictures from the inside of the cottage.






This area, in the southwest of Sweden, is called Halland, an area we have not explored before.
It has a long coastline, with some spectacular and empty beaches, seaside towns like Falkenberg and Halmstad, but also, like in most of Sweden, forests and wild flower meadows. And, by our standard, empty roads.





Lots of Viking history, some of it right here on our doorstep.





And of course, some shopping. One of our shopping trips is to a small town of Horred, where Ekelund, the famous weavers, are based. In their lovely shop I stocked up with some of their beautiful table linen.





Soon our first week was up, it was time to move on. 

11 comments:

Linda said...

Lovely to have you back in Blogland Radka. Thank you for such interesting photographs. Sorry to hear the crossing was a little nasty, but I can see that cottage was comfortable and cosy, and had a wonderful atmosphere. Look forward to more of the trip. Love that linen!!

Ella said...

Radko vitej nazpet z vasi dovolene.I kdyz prevoz nebyl nejlepsi tak to co na vas cekalo ve Svedsku stalo za to.Domecek ve kterem jste byly ubytovani je hezky,takovy jiny.Byly jste v krasne prirode o je videt na fotkach.Tesim se na pokracovani.

Deborah O'Hare said...

This would be a dream trip for me so I am happy that you are sharing yours here.

Gudrun said...

You was so near me and didn´t come to me.At least quite near Birgitta:-))
Only rain here but I want sunshine today my grandchildren are coming for 5 weeks:-))
Hugs Gudrun

margaret said...

How I hate the ferries but seeing how lovely it looks where you stayed the journey makes it well worth while.What a delightful cottage and the scenery is beautiful

Cynthia Gilbreth said...

Welcome back! It sounds like you had a lovely trip, and with that little cottage and the scenery, I can see that you enjoyed yourselves. I'll be looking forward to the rest of the photos.

Frances Leate said...

Welcome back Radka and I enjoyed seeing your photos and following your trip. The cottage looked welcoming and lovely surroundings. Take care.

Beverley said...

Lovely to see you back. I missed your blog and am glad you had a good holiday.
Bev.

Anne-Mettes Oaser said...

So good to see you back in Blogland again, Radka.
Halland is a beautiful part of Sweden. Great Photos.

Katherine said...

Its so good to see you back! I love your pics and isnt that little cabin just gorgeous. Thank you for sharing the first week with us and I am looking forward to seeing some more soon

Juliettecherry said...

So nice to have you back Radka, as you can tell, we have missed you. What an exciting trip you have had, that little cottage looks really comfortable.

Such lovely photos, I always enjoy seeing your visits. The table linen looks beautiful, quite difficult to buy anything like that now in the UK. (we have to stitch it ourselves!).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

© http://pleasureinstitching.blogspot.co.uk 2010-2017