I am glad that you have found my blog and I hope you will take few minutes to explore.
Please leave a comment if you can. I love reading your messages, they brighten up my day :-)
I like to answer you all, but if you are "noreply-comment" blogger (if your email address is not linked to your profile), I will not be able to answer you, unless you leave your email address with your comment.
Welcome!



Monday, 20 May 2013

not just quilts in Malvern

There is always lots of good things written about Malvern Quilt Show, and this year, at last, I managed to go myself.
As it is a bit of a track from our part of the world, DH and I decided to make it into a holiday and stay for few days. We left a week ago, the plan being to drive up the Wye Valley and stop for a picnic on the way.
Best plans.....it started to rain even before we left home and this was us crossing into Wales:


Needless to say there was no picnic. Just a quick stop to take a picture of Tintern Abbey ruins (if you click on the link you can see much better pictures).





It was still raining when we arrived at The Swan, in Henley Swan (only a couple of miles down the road from the Three Counties Show Ground), where we were to stay for the rest of the week. After a good dinner and a good night sleep we woke up to a much better day;

a view of the Malvern Hills from our bedroom window.



A day too early for the show, and DH had plans of his own - a tour of the Morgan car factory. It was only fair for me to keep him company, but I did think I was going to be a bit bored.
We were booked for a two hour tour and I must admit that
I was very glad I went.


This is the oldest motor company in the world still owned by the same family. It is more then 100 years since grandfather Morgan designed a three wheeler car to get him over the Malvern hills.


As probably some of you know, Morgan cars are sports cars, no great interest of mine. A car for me is just something which gets me from A to B.
But what I found very interesting is the skill, a real craft in making each car. There is no production line here, no robots. Each car is made to order, by hand, by very skilled people, a skill which is passed from father to son.
Another surprise was that the basic construction is made from wood, an ash to be exact, which is then covered by aluminium. Every step and each part are recorded in a book, which goes with the car right through the production and is given to the new owner. So there is a permanent record of all parts used and people who made the car. There is a real pride here in what they make.



This is a part of a dashboard, which starts as a straight piece of wood (at the bottom) and finishes as a beautiful part of the car interior (at the top), all done by hand. But, of course, you can choose a leather finish instead!








 














     All DH needs now is a lottery win!

I hope you haven't been too bored, quilts tomorrow!



©pleasureinstitching.blogspot.co.uk

6 comments:

  1. like you I went to the quilt show but not the car factory, we did however see 3 morgan cars being driven near by, one on the M5 that was overtaking everything in sight, it looked so frail and more like a kiddie car but it sure could move. The quilt show brilliant, have not put the pics on my blog yet as I have over 400 to choose from! Now planning to go to the big one at the NEC in august.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Radka. What an interesting post. When I see your pictures, I remember how much I miss the clean, green orderliness of northern Europe. The car factory is fascinating. What craftsmanship!
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete
  3. The trip to the Morgan factory looks really interesting and what a shame I didn't know you were around in Malvern . I was at the show on Thursday and Sunday. Missed ya again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what cars!!!
    Hugs Gudrun

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great place to visit. Hope hubby gets his lottery win and then you can go to town on some crafty spending too lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The special design of the Morgan has always excited me. if I win the lottery I'll buy immediately a Morgan! it will then be very difficult to decide which model.
    thank you for the very interesting pictures

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit! Your comments are always welcome:))
I like to reply to all your comment, so please leave your e-mail address, if it is not already liked to your blog profile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

© http://pleasureinstitching.blogspot.co.uk 2010-2017