I am glad that you have found my blog and I hope you will take few minutes to explore.
Please leave a comment if you can. I love reading your messages, they brighten up my day :-)
I like to answer you all, but if you are "noreply-comment" blogger (if your email address is not linked to your profile), I will not be able to answer you, unless you leave your email address with your comment.
Welcome!



Friday, 7 February 2014

floods on Somerset Levels

Firstly, thank you for your emails, from those who know that I live in Somerset and are concerned, after seeing the floods on your news. We are fine, we live about 10 miles from the Somerset Levels, on the edge of the Mendip Hills, so higher up. (If you click on the "Somerset Levels" link above, you can see what the Levels look like not flooded and its proximity to the sea).
 We are just fed up with the rain, but that is nothing comparing to what the people on the Levels have been going through.


Somerset is a large county, the Levels are just a part of it. It is a flat area, below the sea level and during  high tides easily flooded. It is said, that this is where "Somerset" got its name from - as the area always used to flood during the winter, the farmers used to take themselves and their livestock to the surrounding hills and return to the Levels for the summer - the Summer People.
So, historically the floods were always there, but they were managed in various ways - by canals and by dredging rivers among others. Few years ago the government and the environmental agency decided, for reasons known best to them, to let the Levels flood - and this is the result; this year, with much higher than average rainfall, the Levels are well and truly under water, and the parts which are not, are cut off. The picture above is not mine, but from the Internet, sorry, I can't remember which site; I just want to show you the scale of it. You can see more pictures here .
Some of the homes have been flooded since Christmas, and it is only now, when under the media spotlight, the government  has decided to do "something" and promised money. But by now the damage has been done; the cattle and other livestock, standing in the water on the farms, need to be evacuated. There are other small businesses there which can't trade. 
With the weather forecast not in our favour, more people have to leave their flooded homes.
It has been a lovely, sunny day in Somerset today, but it was only a brief break. More rain and strong winds are forecasted for the next few days. 
Of course, it is not only Somerset which is suffering, the coastal areas of Devon and Cornwall have been hammered by high tides; a part of the railway connecting those two counties literary washed away. I am sure that our bloggers in those parts have their own stories to tell, as do others in other parts of the country.

It is evening now, it is dark outside and I can hear heavy rain falling on our roof, but we are dry inside.
I can't even imagine what it like for the people living on the Levels.


©pleasureinstitching.blogspot.co.uk 2014

11 comments:

Mad about Craft said...

It's horrendous!

Hanna said...

Very bad, I hope for the people that it will stop raining and get dry again soon -
Hanna

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

My Heart goes out to all those effected by the flooding. I pray they will have the courage and strength to keep going on during this trying time. Hugs to all Judy

Jules Woolford said...

It's heart breaking. I feel so sorry for all those affected. I'm very glad you are well away from the water. Let's hope things improve soon.

katherine said...

Its tragic! So long to be inundated with flood water. I am glad to see that you are safe and dry but my heart breaks for those affected. We still have droughts here in AUstralia and we personally haven't had any rain for 4-6 weeks. Summers total is 4mm! We'll have some of that water thanks lol.

margaret said...

it is such a disaster, we can only imagine what everyone is going through, I do wonder why they allow building on these flood plains, the farms I know have been there such a very long time but I presume other houses etc have been given planning permission in more recent times.

Tiggy Rawling said...

I have been thinking of you during this unbelievable weather. Good to know you are high and dry. Ditto everything said above. Here in Dorset so many roads impassable and the countryside has lots of new lakes, although nothing like Somerset. Oh well, batten down the hatches, looks like another day in the studio!

Lorraine said...

I'm so glad you are safe Radka, I didn't sent a message before as I thought if you were under water you would have enough to cope with.
Take care
Lorraine.

Helen said...

Awful news so sorry to see all that disaster. I am so very pleased to hear you are safe and dry my heart goes out to all the people who are affected by the floods. Take care Radka xx

Barbara said...

I'm sorry to read such bad news and see these sad pictures. Hopefully rain has stopped by now and people can be relieved again and start to clean up all the damages caused by the flood.

Dianne said...

Oh this is terrible, Radka. I did not know you lived in the Somerset region or I would have thought of you too. Very sorry for the people who are suffering hardships from all the flooding. Our people are still recovering from the trauma and devastation of the 2010 floods in our region. I do hope it stops raining soon for all concerned. Best wishes, Dianne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

© http://pleasureinstitching.blogspot.co.uk 2010-2017