I am glad that you have found my blog and I hope you will take few minutes to explore.
Please leave a comment if you can. I love reading your messages, they brighten up my day :-)
I like to answer you all, but if you are "noreply-comment" blogger (if your email address is not linked to your profile), I will not be able to answer you, unless you leave your email address with your comment.
Welcome!



Monday, 28 July 2014

tambani embroidery project

In the latest Quiltmania magazine there is an interesting article about Tambani Embroidery Project.
This is not so different from the Afghanistan Inspiration Project I wrote about before and you can find details by clicking on "Afghanistan Inspirations" under "Interesting Link" on the left hand side of my blog or on their new website here .
Or you have possibly seen their stand at shows.

Tambani Project is based in north east corner of South Africa, where women are very often left destituted, after the men left to find work in the cities and sometimes don't return.
The intention of the Project is to preserve the folklore of the Venda-speaking people, who live in the area. The embroideries, stitched by the women, illustrate scenes from Venda folk tales, and so preserving them. At the same time it gives the women some income, as they get paid on completion of the embroidery. It is then up to Tambani to market and sell the work.

You can read more about this project on their website here , or if you are going to NEC next month, you might find their stand there.




©pleasureinstitching.blogspot.co.uk 2014

4 comments:

Hanna said...

Dear Radka,
I bought one of the tambani squares in Germany last year, they are so beautiful. I will be in Birmingham next week and am looking forwrd to the Show -
greetings Hanna

margaret said...

such a moving article, what strengths these ladies have. I am off to the NEC so will look out for the stand but did not see it on the list of exhibitors when I looked a few weeks ago.

Deborah OHare said...

These look very interesting, Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely look out for them.

Jen said...

Hello Radka,Your sampler quilt is pretty love the fabrics.The garden has such lovely plantings any wonder you spend time out there.It is funny to hear you say 20C being warm as our winter has days of 20C and we think it cool.Interesting the Tambani project.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

© http://pleasureinstitching.blogspot.co.uk 2010-2017