my slide show

pleasureinstitching's My Stitching album on Photobucket

I am glad that you have found my blog and I hope you will take few minutes to explore.
Please leave a comment if you can. I love reading your messages, they brighten up my day :-)
I like to answer you all, but if you are "noreply-comment" blogger (if your email address is not linked to your profile), I will not be able to answer you, unless you leave your email address with your comment.
Welcome!



Sunday, 2 November 2014

Wells - England's smallest city



I have been living in Somerset for more than 20 years, and I must admit that I take its beauty very much for granted now.
So it is good to remind myself now and then of all those beautiful places on my doorstep.
Just a few miles down the road is a small town, City of Wells.
Wells can call itself "City" because of its magnificent cathedral, which dates back to 12th century.
But the history of the town goes back a lot further. In Roman times there was a settlement here, most probably because of the springs (wells) that bubble up here and still can be found in the grounds of the Bishop's Palace and the Market Place; the water flows underground from the surrounding Mendip Hills.



The Wells Cathedral dominates the town view, it is a beautiful sight.


To read more about the Wells Cathedral, click on the link.






In the Cathedral garden stands an old Medlar tree.





Wells Town Hall in the Market Place.




The moat around the Bishop's Palace.



Some other Wells images.








And for you and me:

in a small courtyard you can find "Sew Vintage" - "An  emporium full of things to delight and inspire", quoting their website.
Recently moved to smaller premises next door, but still full of sewing notions, fabrics and knitting wool; great for buttons, ribbons, craft felts..........not just vintage.



And then there is Millie Moon - a haberdashery boutique, a sister to Frome and Bristol shops,


selling beautiful and tempting fabrics like " Miss Kate" by Moda.


I hope you have enjoyed today's walk.

And just for the purpose of this journal:
October was a crazy month weatherwise, with some rain and the occasional cold spell, but mainly unseasonably warm. In fact, we just had the warmest Halloween ever, around 21°C in our part of the country, even warmer in London!


©pleasureinstitching.blogspot.co.uk 2014

13 comments:

Vlaďka Cepáková said...

Tedy katedrála je opravdu impozantní stavba, už jenom na fotce, a co teprve v reálu. Vždy mě překvapí um našich předků. S mnohem primitivnějšími nástroji dokázali vybudovat taková díla, která jsou navíc ještě trvalá. Čas si na nich často vyláme zuby. A z celého městečka dýchá taková příjemná atmosféra. Je to pěkné místo.

margaret said...

I so enjoyed my walk around Wells takes me back to when we used to go there to eat when I worked the shows think it was Exeter or maybe Shepton Mallet my geography has gone to pot!

Anneliese said...

Oh my, Radka, this is wonderful, it makes me want to travel to England again and see those wonderful place in person once more.

Juliettecherry said...

Your lovely photos of Wells reminds me it has been way too long since I last visited it. I still think it is the most beautiful Cathedral I have ever seen.

All the other lovely parts, so nice to see them. Always great if there is any kind of needlework/haberdashery shop too.

Anne-Mettes Oaser said...

Thank you for showing us this lovely city. I really would love to go right away to see all the beautiful places, which you show us.
One often forget to llok closely at the surrundings, where we live to see the beauty. You reminded med :-), dear Radka.

shirley said...

Wonderful photos of that beautiful cathedral. England has so much to offer in its history. Wells looks like a delightful town.

Jen said...

Hello Radka Thanks for showing Wells and its history and cathederal and shops right at your doorstep. I like the wool felt how soft and smooth it looks and the lovely threads will make for a lovely project coming up.

Die Nähmeise said...

Dear Radka,
magnificent pictures of wells, thanks for take the tour through this pleasant little town.

Get a nice week
greetings from carmen

Patchworkjana said...

Mila Radko, zase nadherne fotografie!
Kouzelne mestecko jako z pohadky.
Srdecne zdravi z Hamburku
Jana

Dianne said...

What a fascinating place. How I would love to visit there one day. The cathedral is amazing so thank you for the link.

Annemariesquilt said...

Thanks for sharing..

Katherine said...

Such gorgeous photos of a very beautiful place. Lance and I watch a show here on Sunday nights called Move to the country or similar. It has quite often showed homes and the surrounding area of Somerset. In fact last nights show was one of them.

Mizumatte said...

thanks for showing this lovely town, I have only been to London and it's surroundings, maybe some day I can visit some of the amazings towns and countryside in England

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

© http://pleasureinstitching.blogspot.co.uk 2010-2017