I am glad that you have found my blog and I hope you will take few minutes to explore.
Please leave a comment if you can. I love reading your messages, they brighten up my day :-)
I like to answer you all, but if you are "noreply-comment" blogger (if your email address is not linked to your profile), I will not be able to answer you, unless you leave your email address with your comment.
Welcome!



Saturday, 30 July 2016

still in the kitchen

                             and making more jam, today's fruit - gooseberries and apricots





I got the idea for using these two fruits together from a book by Olia Hercules. 
I bought this second hand book few weeks ago and it has been very useful so far.

It was a perfect summer day today, so I prepared the fruit early, sitting in the sunshine.






And tonight we have some more sunshine in the jars.
It is the first time I have made this jam and I must say - it is delicious! 



There is another recipe from this book I would like to share with you, a very nice chicken dish, just right for summer days, 
but rather unusual in the way it is cooked. 




By the way, for UK bloggers, the same recipe is in the current issue of Waitrose Magazine.

You need some chicken thighs, bone in, skin on.
Although after the first time I made it, I stopped leaving the skin on, because I found the finished dish little too fatty. 
But bones are important for keeping the meat together during cooking.

Heat little oil in a large, heavy frying pan, and fry the chicken (+ salt & pepper) for few minutes on both sides.
Turn the heat down to very low, add some butter and crushed garlic
( I leave this to your taste).



Cover with baking parchment/ greaseproof paper, and now you need to put some substantial weight on the top (another heavy frying pan or something like that) and again something heavy on top of that, a couple of cans of beans possibly. 
This is my solution:



Cook on a very low heat for about 25 minutes, until the chicken is cooked.
In the meantime chop up a selection of herbs (use quite a lot) - dill, basil, tarragon, coriander, flat leaf parsley; it is up to you and your taste.





When the chicken is cooked, remove from the pan and add chopped herbs to the juices in the pan and cook for a couple of minutes.






Break up the chicken pieces, taking the bones out, arrange in a serving dish and pour meat and herb juices over the chicken.



 I serve this with new season potatoes and summer vegetables. 
It can be cooked in advance; it keeps well in the fridge overnight and re-heats well; I also popped it in the freezer for a couple of days, in the serving dish, and it tasted just as good as freshly cooked, when defrosted.
The recipe suggest using the chicken meat for buns or wraps; so handy for picnics. 

Have a great Sunday!


©pleasureinstitching.blogspot.co.uk 2016

10 comments:

  1. Dear Radka,
    Thank you for sharing. Both Looks very good and the chicken will be worth to give it a try. Have a nice Sunday
    Hanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Radka,så härligt detta ser ut! Jag kommer direkt:-))
    Kram Gudrun

    ReplyDelete
  3. Radka, takže pokračuješ v džemikoch, jeden lepší ako druhý! A to varenie, mňam, vyzerá skvelo! Ja mám rada také varenie, čo sa dá na druhý deň jesť, alebo z mrazničky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great jam combo. The chicken sounds absolutely delicious - I aim to try it soon. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your dishes thanks for sharing Radka :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of wonderful summery food!! It all looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Radka, as always your 'cookery posts' have my mouth watering! After reading your earlier post back in May my good friend Lisa and I are off to visit Barrington Court and the patchwork shop too on Thursday, Hope the weather is kind to us.
    Regards Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Radka, as always your 'cookery posts' have my mouth watering! After reading your earlier post back in May my good friend Lisa and I are off to visit Barrington Court and the patchwork shop too on Thursday, Hope the weather is kind to us.
    Regards Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks really delicious! I´ll come over for dinner or so ;)
    And lucky you, who has gooseberries. Wow.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit! Your comments are always welcome:))
I like to reply to all your comment, so please leave your e-mail address, if it is not already liked to your blog profile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

© http://pleasureinstitching.blogspot.co.uk 2010-2017