my slide show

pleasureinstitching's My Stitching album on Photobucket

I am glad that you have found my blog and I hope you will take few minutes to explore.
Please leave a comment if you can. I love reading your messages, they brighten up my day :-)
I like to answer you all, but if you are "noreply-comment" blogger (if your email address is not linked to your profile), I will not be able to answer you, unless you leave your email address with your comment.
Welcome!



Tuesday, 23 August 2016




Our summer continues in a normal way; some good days, some bad, but on the whole the weather is OK.
The rain in the last couple of days was very welcome, DH was getting fed up having to water the garden every day.
And now we are due for another mini heatwave - yes, the English summer is still with us.

















I really got into crochet recently, and my Bohemian Rhapsody wrap is coming along, be it very slowly - so many colours and very fine wool.
So I got easily seduced when I saw this blanket pattern by Jane Crow ; worked in a double knitting yarn (with 10% wool) and larger hook, it grows quite quickly.




It is made in strips, connecting the lantern shapes as they are being completed, using the wool randomly.

My St Germain quilt has been resting in its project box for long enough; time to do some more work here. 
I have now started the second long border.


My "play cloth" has been out too.
I am filling in another block; just playing, no idea where this will take me, but just enjoying practising french knots for a while.



My young stitching friend (my granddaughter) has brought her first sewing machine - a present from her parents for her 11th birthday earlier this summer, and together we discovered "how it all works".
One of the first projects she has made is a present for her younger brother.






Back in the kitchen and more jam making.
We now have new English plums in the shops - time go back to my roots again and make "povidla", a traditional plum preserve.
I make it similar to the way I make all my jams, but the cooking time is longer, at least 2 hours, to get a thick texture. The taste will get even better with age.








At the last week's market I bought first Discovery apples this year - rather early, but they did look inviting. 
Unfortunately, despite the look, they were not ready to eat, but just nice for a pie.
 I use a simple quick shortcrust pastry (flour + 2/3 butter + enough water to make a soft dough). To avoid using any sugar, I added to the apples some dried fruit I had at home - apricots and cranberries, and flaked almonds for little crunch,





and some cinnamon . Brush the top with milk before baking




Result.



It tastes wonderful, good with little fresh cream (even better if it is whipped with little icing sugar) or vanilla ice cream.






©pleasureinstitching.blogspot.co.uk 2016



8 comments:

Pamela said...

You have been busy! I love the applique! And what a sweet project your yung friend made for her brother.

Hanna said...

Dear Radka,
You are very busy and the new blanket will turn out beautyful, I am sure. Powidl (as we write it) is very good and your apple pie Looks phantastic. I make the dough for it as you make it, it is easy and very good -
have a nice day
Hanna

Pettas said...

Oh Radka!
I´m overwhelmed! You are a woman of many gifts.
Everything is so beautiful! Wow!
Have a nice day
Karin

Juliettecherry said...

Interesting to see your lantern blanket as it is next on my list. I have just completed a Janie Crow CAL, Frida's Flowers. An enjoyable project, but in-between I am doing a Sandra Paul Painted Roses blanket.

Love the photo of your granddaughter at her new machine, I wish her many happy hours with it.

Apple pie looks divine!!

Lin said...

Gosh that pie looks good! Trying to avoid using the oven at the moment as we are into another canicule - heatwave. Fortunately it was cooler on Sunday and my roast has lasted well but it will have to be stove top tomorrow. Such a lovely colourful post Radka - I love the shisha and French knots and your crochet looks like fun. xx

Helen said...

Another beautiful and wonderful Post thanks Radka enjoyed it all :)

Die Nähmeise said...

Dear Radka,
hmm I would love a piece of apple pie to taste !!!
Delicious it looks. Love your crochet grannys !!!

Margaret Stickland said...

Another lovely lively post

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

© http://pleasureinstitching.blogspot.co.uk 2010-2017