my slide show

pleasureinstitching's My Stitching album on Photobucket

I am glad that you have found my blog and I hope you will take few minutes to explore.
Please leave a comment if you can. I love reading your messages, they brighten up my day :-)
I like to answer you all, but if you are "noreply-comment" blogger (if your email address is not linked to your profile), I will not be able to answer you, unless you leave your email address with your comment.
Welcome!



Sunday, 5 February 2017

heavenly beauties





We had a lovely day down our way yesterday - warm and sunny. It was the kind of day, when you wish it to be an early spring day.
We looked for some small garden jobs to do to keep us outside.
There weren't any; it is far too early, so we just made a very short garden tour and set on the bench in the sunshine with our cuppa.
The garden is slowly waking up; the camellia, which we bought before Christmas, is covered in buds and wants to get going. 









Winter flowering clematis is in full swing, 


 and hellebores in the shady part of the garden are at last opening up.





But this is what I have been waiting for, to see this little beauty, the first hepatica blossom - 
"jewels of spring". 


I found out about them only last May, when I watched a TV broadcast from the Chelsea Flower Show.
John Massey from Ashwood Nurseries had a wonderful stand, covered in these little beauties.
They got a a Gold Medal and The Diamond Jubilee Award for their exhibit.

The Diamond Jubilee Award proudly displayed on our hepatica exhibit at RHS Chelsea

I ordered 3 plants of hepaticas nobilis that same night. 
We don't have ideal conditions in our tiny garden; hepaticas are mostly woodland plants - they like plenty of light during winter months and plenty of shade in the summer. 
I can't give them that, so I planted them in pots - last summer they were in a shady corner of our patio and in the autumn I moved them into the brightest patch. 
This one is looking little puny at the moment, but it is in flower, with more buds opening up, and the main thing is that all 3 plants survived the first winter and seems quite happy in our garden.
I am very tempted to get some more 😀


As it happens, there is an article about John Massey and his hepaticas in the latest issue of the Landscape magazine.





Back indoors, I finished another Chateau Hexagon block.




©pleasureinstitching.blogspot.co.uk 2017


7 comments:

Klaudia said...

Dear Radka,

deine erste Hepatica-BlĂŒte - "die Juwelen des FrĂŒhlings", ist wunderschön!
Auch sonst zeigst du schöne Bilder, die Lust auf den FrĂŒhling machen.

LG Klaudia.

Helen said...

Lovely photos of your garden :)

Gudrun said...

Love the photos!!
Warm and sunny weather. What does that mean??:-))I have forgotten:-)))
Lovely stitchery with the little dog. Pudel, I think.
xx

margaret said...

your garden is really showing signs of spring, here even the tulip and daffodil bulbs are struggleing to peep out of the soil and even my very few snowdrops are doing very little. Lovely plants

Lin said...

Lovely pictures from your garden Radka - the little hepatica is gorgeous. Pretty embroidery too. xx

Juliettecherry said...

Hepaticas are new to me, they look delightful. Here was nice on Saturday too, but wet garden after frost. ..........instead wiped down the gutters and fascia's!! just a little step on all that awaits for this Spring.

Hanna said...

I am sorry, I did not visit your blog for some time. My Computer changed the program at my blogroll, so I cannot see any more who wrote a new post. But I enjoyed seeing what you have sewn and where you have been.
Greetings from Austria
Hannab

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

© http://pleasureinstitching.blogspot.co.uk 2010-2017