my slide show

pleasureinstitching's My Stitching album on Photobucket

I am glad that you have found my blog and I hope you will take few minutes to explore.
Please leave a comment if you can. I love reading your messages, they brighten up my day :-)
I like to answer you all, but if you are "noreply-comment" blogger (if your email address is not linked to your profile), I will not be able to answer you, unless you leave your email address with your comment.
Welcome!



Tuesday, 28 February 2017

new magazines

I very often go to bed very late, specially if I get into some stitching and get a "second wind" late in the evening and just want to "finish this bit".
It was past midnight last night; I looked out of the window - it was snowing, I mean SNOWING, heavily, and the snow was settling. It looked so pretty in the light of the street lamp opposite. But I was thinking - not now, not any more, I want SPRING!
The last day of February, as if the winter was saying "I am not done just yet!"
Thankfully, when I woke up in the morning, the sun was shining and most of the snow was gone, only tiny pockets remaining.



A couple of magazines arrived last week, both from "the other side of the pond".






Many of you already know "Art Quilting Studio" . Published twice a year, it is jam packed with creative ideas. Great inspirational magazine.

















The second, "Quiltfolk" , is a new magazine and this is the first ever issue.


It is different from other quilting magazines - there are no adverts and no projects.
It is a bit pricey, but I like it.
Published quarterly in Oregon, it's aim is to share stories about quilters and quilting communities.
To quote from the introduction by the Editor in Chief:
"We wanted Quiltfolk to be a place where readers could find a reprieve from clutter and distraction, and could focus not on buying, but on sharing instead. We wanted it to be a magazine that served the interest of only one group of people: the Quiltfolk community."
"We wanted to create a keepsake quarterly, one that you could sit with, laugh with, be inspired by, and ultimately tuck away for reading on a rainy day."
The idea is to dedicate each issue to one area, in this first issue Oregon (home of the magazine), and visit individuals, shops and quilting groups. More then 160 pages of this magazine is packed with just that, plus a great photography. 






You could say "oh no, not another quilting magazine!" and you would be right, there are so many of them on the market. But this not just another quilting magazine; I really enjoyed browsing through it, without being interrupted by adverts and projects instructions. Don't get me wrong, I like those kind of magazines also, I have learnt a lot from them over the years. But it makes a nice change just to read - about "folk" who, like me, love the feel of fabrics, and their quilting journeys; about places I have never been to and are unlikely to visit.
I look forward to issue no 2.

I bought my magazines from Lawrence, Contented Cat's Magazine Man .


©pleasureinstitching.blogspot.co.uk 2017 

7 comments:

margaret said...

have not heard of either of these like you I find all the adverts annoying but suppose without them it would make them more pricy, mind you have stopped buying for now except for Stitch by the embroiderers guild that reminds me think I should have checked as it is a while since I got the last one

O meu pensamento viaja said...

Lovely pics! I adore the snow!
xoxox

Lin said...

Enjoy your magazines Radka - that new one looks very interesting. xx

Die Nähmeise said...

When I opened your blog I saw the beautiful snowdrops on the haeder. But then snow in the plant, god havens in the south of england says the winter not yet good bey just like here. For tomorrow the weather prediction promises spring ...
dear Radka, I wish you a creative week , Carmen

Helen said...

Thanks for sharing lovely pictures.

Vera Holmgren said...

I've bought Deborah Bouchet's book, it is very useful, really like it!

Mary Ann said...

Thanks for the tip on the new magazine Quiltfolk. I will have to be on the lookout for it. Just found your blog thru a Facebook post so am signing on as a follower. I will be looking forward to reading your posts. survivor972002@midco.net

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

© http://pleasureinstitching.blogspot.co.uk 2010-2017