Hello and welcome to my blog. I hope you can stay a while, so make yourself a cuppa, put your feet up and browse through my blog pages. You can do this by either browsing up and down the pages as set out, or by subjects, listed under "my labels" in the left side bar.


Monday, 20 January 2020







Wet and windy weather has been replaced by frosty nights and calmer, sunny days; days you want to be outside.
This morning's crispy walk took us by a smallholding on the edge of town;










I was pleased to see that the long feathered geese made it past Christmas 😀



Little acknowledgement from the pony;
  


but the alpacas in their woolly winter coats couldn't be bothered to come and say hello this morning. 





 First snowdrops in the churchyard,


 and yellow aconites opening up in the park.


Back at home I finished a half of the leaf border on the Grandmother's Garden quilt. 
I am using a straight forward needleturn applique, which is quick and I feel most comfortable with.
I am rather addicted to this quilt at the moment, and I can't wait for the next stage, which will be a border of small log cabin blocks.



Those of you who follow Barbara Brackman's blog might have seen her interesting post on 16th January "Pattern Blocks", in which she writes about " orphan quilt blocks", and which have become very collectable. 
Some of them dating as far back as the start of 20th century, these were not quilt blocks to be part of any quilt, but to keep as a reference, a part of a quilt pattern library or to share a particular pattern with others. 
Therefore they were not necessarily well stitched, as their permanence wasn't the most important thing, and often they had to be unpicked and re-stitched, to be able to copy them over and over again. 
Today of course we can find a pattern for any block in many places, be it books, magazines or online.
In those days sharing a block with your friends in this way would had been the easiest way to get a new pattern.
And sharing is something which we quilters do so well, don't we!


©pleasureinstitching.blogspot.co.uk 2010-2020

7 comments:

  1. We have similar weather at the moment; sunny but quite cold. Love how your Grandmother's Flower Garden looks. You've been very busy with all those leaves. Well done. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to get out on a bright crisp morning. I love the feathery geese, very exotic! Your applique is looking gorgeous. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This quilt is already marvelous!!!!!!!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some l lovely critters on your wander. Your quilt is beautiful! Wow! I did read that post too....we are so spoilt today aren't we x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty project. You are making fast progress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. j'adore ces animaux!!!! tes fleurs sont superbes et j'aimerais bien faire cette couette, mais je ne trouve pas le magazine!!! serait-il possible de m'envoyer une copie des explications s'il te plait!se cerait très gentil de ta part et je t'en remercie !!! bonne journée ensoleillée!!!!!Dany

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your grandmothers flower quilt is an absolute stunner! I do love bright happy quilts.
    I must go and read Barbara's post :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit! Your comments are always welcome and they brighten up my day :-)
Please be aware, that when you leave a comment, your IP address and other data (which may be name, e-mail, website etc) is stored by the website operator. You have the option to delete your comment at any time. If you use links, the forwarding of data is likely.


© http://pleasureinstitching.blogspot.co.uk 2010-2023