Hello and welcome to my blog. I hope you can stay a while, so make yourself a cuppa, put your feet up and browse through my blog pages. You can do this by either browsing up and down the pages as set out, or by subjects, listed under "my labels" in the left side bar.


Sunday, 22 March 2020

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO ALL UK MUMS!

Not the kind we are normally used to; but - everything is different now, all our lives have changed very quickly. It is like those horror films we have watched over the years.
My flowers and cards were delivered yesterday, my children are keeping their distance, I am not able to give them a hug 😢
We are trying to keep away from others as much as possible, as we are in the "at risk" age group.
Just as well we have hobbies!

It is a beautiful day here in our part of the world, blue sky and wall to wall sunshine,
we were sitting outside earlier, enjoying a cuppa in the warm part of the garden. At least something is right.
Our garden is slowly waking up, the camellia is in flower,


and the miniature Japanese cherry is fully out.


About a week ago I managed to make a quick trip to Midsomer Quilting to spend my Christmas vouchers; not many people there.
The nice people at MQ said that they will carry on as long as they can, specially their online shop.

This is what I came back with,
aren't these colours a feast for eyes?



Yes, there was a plan for these fabrics.
I have been playing with a small Korak sampler. What is Korak?
It is possibly the most ancient form of patchwork. There isn't much know about is; I came across it some 9 years ago, when someone else was making a small sampler and I wrote a post about it here.
You will struggle to find much written information, the only very informative book I know about is this one (which is in both, German and English)

Koraks were made by nomads in Central Asia, along the Silk Route, which also explains the various fabrics used, including silks, in some of the Koraks which survived.
Korak is made very differently to patchwork as we know now; pieces of fabrics  (mainly squares and triangles) are stitched to a foundation fabric, so not unlike today's applique. It is an interesting technique, be it a bit fiddly, as the fabric pieces are very small.








I am following (very loosely) one of the designs in the book. 








This is where I am so far with my Korak sampler.


There is also some progress on the "Circle Play" top.


I must admit that I find very difficult to be creative when I am worried, and these are very worrying times.

I wish you well, keep safe!


©pleasureinstitching.blogspot.co.uk 2010-2020

5 comments:

  1. The Korak sounds very interesting, and your fabrics seem just perfect for it.
    Even during this physical isolation we can be connected with our online friends who share the same hobbies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the Mother's Day wishes. It was a very different day from normal, but nevertheless my heart was full of gratitude for the thoughtful gifts delivered and messages through social media and phone from children and grandchildren. I too have new craft sets to keep me busy during self isolation. The Korak craftwork is interesting. I hope you'll be able to 'switch off' and relax a little with your crafting projects. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to see you busy as usual with interesting plans afoot. These are the times when we feel justified in having a "stash" to go to. Keep well and safe Radka,it is good to be able to keep in touch with our on-line friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you and your family are being sensible - we have seen some horrendous photographs from UK of people taking no notice of the distancing and isolating advice. Dont they watch the news and see what is happening elsewhere! I do love the fabrics you are using for your Korak and circles is looking great. Stay safe and well. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Radka,I enjoyed seeing your garden and projects again. Your garden is always beautiful to see.Your new fabrics are beautiful .I wonder what you will do nwith them . Jen xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit! Your comments are always welcome and they brighten up my day :-)
Please be aware, that when you leave a comment, your IP address and other data (which may be name, e-mail, website etc) is stored by the website operator. You have the option to delete your comment at any time. If you use links, the forwarding of data is likely.


© http://pleasureinstitching.blogspot.co.uk 2010-2023