Hello and welcome to my blog. I hope you can stay a while, so make yourself a cuppa, put your feet up and browse through my blog pages. You can do this by either browsing up and down the pages as set out, or by subjects, listed under "my labels" in the left side bar.


Saturday, 24 June 2023

summer marching on ........

Another month gone....
it is Glastonbury weekend, and the weather this year is magnificent;
being just in an earshot from it, we could hear the music kick off last night.
Early June saw a heat wave in England, and very, very dry. Any rain (as there was) was passing us by and we could only watch wishfully the dark clouds from a distance.  



As I get older I find I can't tolerate the heat so well, so I was spending most of my time indoors, looking for the coolest space and doing lots of reading.
The roses in our garden were the only ones enjoying the heat.
There was lots of watering going on to keep the rest of it alive;
we invested in another water butt earlier this year, so we have 6 of them now, which proved to be a good thing to do. 

It has got better since and although still warmer than the average, it isn't unpleasant. 
Not much sewing going on, as my hands are too hot, so I find myself stitching little in the evenings only.


That said, I just could not resist a wool embroidery kit I came across on Etsy - "Partridge in the Pear Tree".
I don't normally stitch much for Christmas, specially not this early in the year, but it is a while since I did any crewel embroidery, 
so here we are.
I look forward to making this.



I finished the applique borders for the Butterfly's Ball quilt, I embroidered some simple butterflies
in the corners; 
I also now have enough hexie flowers for the next border, so I am now stitching these on.
 By the way, I missed out one of the borders in the pattern (purely personal choice).






I am pleased that despite all that heat and shortage of rain, the garden is not looking bad; 
this of course is thanks to my husband for spending so much time watering and feeding.
(And no, all those water butts are still not enough, one needs to have rain to fill them up! But they did get us through the first heat wave, and we did have some rain last weekend.)





























©pleasureinstitching.blogspot.co.uk 2010-2023

9 comments:

  1. Your summer does sound lovely right about now, heat and all. =) Your garden is looking lush and lovely with so much pretty colour, and the roses are beautiful. Butterfly Ball gets lovelier with each new applique stitched. I rather love the bee fabric the flowers are dancing on. The 'Partridge in a Pear Tree' is a pretty pattern. It reminds me that Christmas is not too far away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ach, ty anglické zahrady!
    A tvá práce taky hýří letními barvami.
    Radko, měj hezké dny, Helena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ty Anglicke zahrady potrebuji hodne vody a posledni dva roky nemame moc deste, takze anglicke zahrady se asi budou menit. Dik za navstevu!

      Delete
  3. Your garden is looking lovely Radka - haha 6 water butts! We could do with a couple more as there never seems to be enough water. We did catch some decent rain one evening last week but it certainly has been dry. Your patchwork and applique borders look lovely. The crewel work kit looks like a nice project and reminds me that we finally got to Montacute last week. I had a lovely time looking around. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful garden all the flowers blooming in this dry period, lovely.The butterfly ball border looks great, nice colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your sewing and embroidery work is great.
    Yes, that's right, we should above all enjoy being outside now that nature is showing itself in its most beautiful splendour. Some of the sewing work stays with me... but I also sew to my delight :-)))
    Have fun in the garden. Gorgeous beautiful flowers.
    A hug to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I'm from the U.S. so I have to ask what is a water butt? Your gardens are gorgeous! What beautiful flowers. I love your new wool applique piece. I do wool applique also. Your quilt is stunning! Love the colors and who doesn't love some hexies! Really lovely projects!

    ReplyDelete
  7. water butts?😂is that what your calling the pots on the wall? the garden looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That crewel project looks like it will be really pretty. I look forward to following your progress.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit! Your comments are always welcome and they brighten up my day :-)
Please be aware, that when you leave a comment, your IP address and other data (which may be name, e-mail, website etc) is stored by the website operator. You have the option to delete your comment at any time. If you use links, the forwarding of data is likely.


© http://pleasureinstitching.blogspot.co.uk 2010-2023