Hello and welcome to my blog. I hope you can stay a while, so make yourself a cuppa, put your feet up and browse through my blog pages. You can do this by either browsing up and down the pages as set out, or by subjects, listed under "my labels" in the left side bar.


Friday, 23 July 2021

it has been hot, hot

...... although not as hot as in some parts of the world, but hot enough for England. 
It has been hot without any breeze, which gets oppressive very quickly. 
Most of English houses are not built for extreme temperatures.  
So my days have been spent finding the coolest shady place. It was well far beyond "stitching in the garden" weather, too hot for hands trying to hold a needle.

This is all I was capable of doing, few hexies, and reading, lots of reading.



Ideal weather for picking and drying some lavender from our front garden.





Somewhere in the middle of that heat we managed 
to celebrate my daughter's and granddaughter's birthdays in our tiny hot garden.
Call me crazy, 
but I actually made a chocolate cake for the occasion 😕,
with lots of soft fruit it worked OK! 






The weather people are telling us that RAIN is on the way to us tonight!!!!
The plants will be pleased (as will my husband who has been struggling keeping it all alive).

Last autumn I got a tiny pomegranate plant. 
It survived English winter and now it is positively thriving!


There have been other additions to out small patch, but that will be another post.

This has also been a week when "Freedom Day" arrived in England,
whatever that will mean. Make of it what you want.
I am sticking with my mask.



©pleasureinstitching.blogspot.co.uk 2010-2021

13 comments:

  1. Can´t post here a beautiful way to save lavender before drying I'm going to try send you some pictures

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's wet and cool here. This of course has the advantage that everything is green and blooming in nature ... beautiful.
    But I am happy to take some summer-sun-warmth from you.
    Your lavender is lovely. You sew little bags?
    Have a wonderful weekend.
    Many greetings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your warm weather while it lasts.
    Your hexies look pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard you there, were celebrating 'Freedom Day'?? Wow...with the Delta variant ramping up?? Yes, I wouldn't do away with my mask, nor all the proper and safe Covid practices, just yet. Wish it was hot, hot, and then some here. =) Though, here is Australia we cope with hotter weather better. Our summers are always very hot for months on end. Autumn will soon come your way and you will be able to enjoy your lovely garden again. Your lavender is amazing. Goodness me, the fragrance must be fabulous. 'Tis always a good day when I see pretty hexies. Love those prettily wrapped presents..and a delicious chocolate cake! One must have chocolate cake for a birthday. Happy Birthday to your daughter and granddaughter. Hope you have a lovely day where the umbrella is out and up, lovely Radka. ☔

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry about the super hot weather I forget many countries don't use much air conditioning. where I live in Missouri we can get some extreme hot weather with high humidity-so thankful for the a/c
    I love your lavender! what will do with all of it? I just ordered three more lavender plants. I have one that is pretty old and I had moved from our other property I didn't get much lavender till this year.
    I am working with hexies too! stay cool Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. We were promised rain last night too but it never happened! Think you are going to get yours today! What a wonderful crop of lavender. Not so easy to grow on our soil so I just have mine in pots. Your pomegranate is doing well. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, it has been uncomfortably hot here hasn't it? Hopefully to cool down today, when we will appreciate rain, anyway the garden will. Like you, mostly looking for coolest place, near a fan with books and a little crochet and knitting in small bursts. I also have some hexies on the go, but have a new book Block by Block Crochet, by Leonie Morgan which gives shapes to crochet up in patchwork style. I prefer it to sewing so today hope to get some yarn to start.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your lavender!!! Doesn't grow well in my garden (
    Summer reading is much better anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good idea to keep the mask on.... I heard it has been warm and some thunderstorms damaged my son's crops.... keep safe
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  10. V pátek bylo dusno i u nás v České republice, ale bohužel nepršelo. Už bychom také potřebovali pořádně zalít zahradu. A dneska se zadařilo, konečně voda. Náhodou jsem za šla na blog a líbí se mi tu. Levandule je nádherná, zdravím 😊😊😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your visit! Come again :-)

      Delete
  11. Hallo Radka!
    So nice Lavender you have, smart to dry it, l have never tried to do that.
    Warm weather can be good weather for celebrating, we have also done that this summer, with several refigerators and freezers, we managed to keep thefood cold.
    I am impressed of you and making hexies in so hot weather.
    love from Turid

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit! Your comments are always welcome and they brighten up my day :-)
Please be aware, that when you leave a comment, your IP address and other data (which may be name, e-mail, website etc) is stored by the website operator. You have the option to delete your comment at any time. If you use links, the forwarding of data is likely.


© http://pleasureinstitching.blogspot.co.uk 2010-2023