Hello and welcome to my blog. I hope you can stay a while, so make yourself a cuppa, put your feet up and browse through my blog pages. You can do this by either browsing up and down the pages as set out, or by subjects, listed under "my labels" in the left side bar.


Sunday, 4 July 2021

catching up

Since I finished Barn Dance quilt top I have been itching to start a new project (of course!).
I am now in the process of quilting Barn Dance; we had some cold evenings here, 
so it was quite nice to have it on my lap.


Ever since I got "Beautiful Botanicals" by Deborah Kemball, I had been planning to start my own "Flower Sampler" wall-hanging, which will be 
a combination of  applique and embroidery. Now it seems a good time to start, with all the lovely flowers outside, and being able to stitch outside.

I chose a plain mustard fabric for the background, which wouldn't normally  be my first go to colour choice, but I think it will work well.
It is not as brown as it looks here.


first some prep work



and the first flower is done 


As I was browsing through my blog recently, I realised that there haven't been any posts from my kitchen for a very, very long time. I can assure you that there have been many loaves of bread and many cakes coming out of my kitchen during all those lockdowns last year, when the kitchen, my sewing room and the garden were all my places of safety. Books, jigsaw puzzles, DVD's and recipes were making the rounds of the family with all of us confined to our homes.




This is just the latest book in the line of many; 
this one has been on our book shelf for a long time, 
but I got to it eventually. 
Our local library re-opened fully last week, so it is on our list of places to go in the next few days.












On the subject of cakes - spending so much time at home didn't do very much for our waistline, 
so I am now turning again to making little healthier cakes (if there is such a thing 😉).
Now, when we can have visitors at home again, I like to have a cake around.
This weekend's cake was from one of my favourite cake books, by Amber Rose,
where she substitutes sugar with honey or maple syrup, and some of the fats with nuts. The original recipe is made with nectarines, but I use apricots instead, because they have a stronger taste when cooked; 
the result is a wonderful moist cake.




Unfortunately today is very much "indoors"; we are having a busy mix of sunshine and showers,
so I think I will go and plan the next flower for my wall-hanging.
I wish you all very productive week, whatever you are into to!


©pleasureinstitching.blogspot.co.uk 2010-2021

16 comments:

  1. Always wonderful. I love your perseverance finishing your works. I had so many projects which are just as it for ever. My hands don't help. I love embroidery but now is hard being perfect - I'm in a slow-stitching and mending mood and just very very slow.
    Almost gave up my blog and I'm sorry for that. A little bit depressive with the world and humans. Hoping for better days in future.
    Go on with your lovely handwork, receipts, garden, flowers and the most important Family. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A new start is always good. Have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apricot cake! M-m-m, yummy!
    I switched from baking to British Baking Show - better for the waistline, you know :) Just can't understand how with all those mouthwatering cakes around Mary Berry manages to stay so slim?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people just can eat anything, it is not fair! :-) :-)

      Delete
  4. Your new wall hanging is going to be gorgeous, Radka; I just know it. A wall hanging in beautiful flowers will make you smile as you stitch. Love the pretty pink flower you have stitched. The Beautiful Botanicals book looks fabulous. I wouldn't mind a piece of that delicious looking cake right about now... it's afternoon tea time. Enjoy your stitching and reading. I have a feeling the lovely bench in your garden awaits you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty flower - this is going to be a gorgeous quilt. I really enjoyed 'The Island'. I think it was the first of her books that I read and I have now read them all, I think. Your cake looks delicious. Philip is cutting gluten out of his diet now so I am experimenting with different recipes and flours. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, that cake looks scrumptious. I have "Beautiful Botanicals" on my wishlist on Pinterest (for my family, as they always ask what I want for Christmas or birthday). You made a great start on your Flower Sampler. I've completely lost my sewing mojo! Can you send me some please ;)? Weather here seems as mixed as it's over at your end. It's a shame as school hols just started.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Radko, opět zajímavý projekt. Tak ať se Ti daří.
    Klidné léto na zahradě , s knihou, v kuchyni i při šití přeje Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are not afraid of the amount of work when you start a project like that! It looks so pretty already, and it will be a pleasure to follow the process. Your apricot cake looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hallo Radka!
    I am so impressed of all your work by hand, look forward to follow your work.
    The combination of applique and embroidery is so nice.
    The new project, is it your own design with help from your book: Beautiful Botanicals?
    I hope to start on the same combination in the Autumn, but small works inspired by Jacquelene Morel and Yoko Saito.
    Your cake looks sooo good!
    Have lovely days, Radka!😎
    Love from Turid

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cake with apricots ... yes, great tip and I'll take the fresh and yes almond flour and maple syrup ... thanks for the suggestion, dear Radka.
    I also like to bake and since Corona I have been baking two large wholemeal rye breads with sourdough every week ... super delicious :-))
    Have fun with fabric, thread and needle ... it will be very nice again.
    I'm sewing bags - smaller shoulder bags for me.
    Greetings to you. Viola

    ReplyDelete
  11. i do like moist cakes in fact I am inclined to push away a dryish cake so your Apricot cakes sounds lovely! I must say even though I shouldn't say so myself but I am going to my Pear or Apple cake doesn't turn out to bad either judging by the speed it disappears from this household LOL! I like the idea and advice on healthier baking. I shall be keeping my eye on your new make as I do like what I see! keep well Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Radka, thank you very much for your greetings by mail. The bad flood disasters were in the west of Germany, I live in the east. It is fertile that so many people lost their lives. My hometown is Dresden and I now live nearby in the countryside. Helpers from our region drove to the flood area to help with the clearance work. In Dresden we had bad floods in 2002 and 2013 and a lot has been done for flood protection since then.
    I don't think I'll be reporting about it on the blog. It's too sad.
    Be hugged and have a good time.
    Many nice greetings to you. Viola
    Make yourself comfortable with your beautiful embroidery and the wonderful cake ...
    I baked with gooseberries today :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit! Your comments are always welcome and they brighten up my day :-)
Please be aware, that when you leave a comment, your IP address and other data (which may be name, e-mail, website etc) is stored by the website operator. You have the option to delete your comment at any time. If you use links, the forwarding of data is likely.


© http://pleasureinstitching.blogspot.co.uk 2010-2023