I am glad that you have found my blog and I hope you will take few minutes to explore.
Please leave a comment if you can. I love reading your messages, they brighten up my day :-)
I like to answer you all, but if you are "noreply-comment" blogger (if your email address is not linked to your profile), I will not be able to answer you, unless you leave your email address with your comment.
Welcome!



Wednesday, 10 April 2013

what is in my new magazines




I have no stitching to show you right now, but
I want to share with you some new magazines I bought recently.







The Inspirations magazine is well known to embroiderers around the world and it never disappoints.
As always, it is full of projects and inspiration.

Just look at this blue beauty!



As I probably said before, Quiltmania and Magic Patch are my favourite patchwork magazines.




Again, Magic Patch has some lovely projects for all abilities.







There is a pretty Binder Cover project by Martine Gilles.



Portrait of Francoise Tatot


and instructions for her cute Leo the Snail.
Isn't he adorable?


You can see more of her lovely creations here .


Quiltmania is packed with pictures of beautiful quilts and instructions for some of them.


But besides that there are a couple of  interesting articles in this issue.

Pascale Goldenberg, a face behind the Afghanistan Inspiration, and the embroidered squares, writes about the project and its effect on women in Afghanistan.


I had written about the project before, you can find it in my LABELS on the left.

I have my own small collection of squares made by Afghan women. Some artist incorporate them into their work.
I have an idea to make them into a wall hanging, after I'll collect some more.



The other article is about the Fine Cell Work, project established by lady Anne Tree in 1997, to help with rehabilitation of prisoners, by training them in skilled, creative needlework.
The classes are run by volunteers, some from the Royal School of Needlework. The work done by prisoners is of very high quality, it is very often commissioned by designers and well known people.
The work the prisoners do is mainly needlepoint, but in some prisons they also make quilts.

This quilt was commissioned especially for the exhibition "Quilts 1700 - 2010" at the Victoria & Albert Museum in Lodon in 2010. I was lucky enough to be able to visit the exhibition and wrote about in my blog (see Quilts 1700-2010 in my Labels on the left).
It was to compliment "The Rajah" quilt, on loan by the National Museum of Australia in Canberra, which was made by women convicts being transported to Australia on board of HMS Rajah in 1841.

All quilts are entirely hand sewn.
The quilt was made by men in Wandsworth Prison and they based the design on the architectual footprint of the prison.


You can read all about the Fine Cell Work and visit their shop here .

--------------------------

It has been a long cold and very dry spell and there is still no sign of life outside.
Here in the country it is now very dusty from the fields.




But as I am writting this post, it started to rain, it might help the garden to wake up at last.
The nature has a lot of catching up to do this spring!



©pleasureinstitching.blogspot.co.uk 2013








11 comments:

Elin said...

These magasines look great. I like very much the Quiltmania, the other one I don't know about. I have ice in my flowe beds outside, it is very cold, especially during nights.

Gudrun said...

Lots of wonderful inspirations. Love the snail too!!!
Rain is coming here, lovely!

Hugs Gudrun

Hanna said...

Dear Radka,
Once again your post is wonderful, inspiring and interesting. I am just recovering of a very bad flu with high fever, no time to sew or enjoy spring -
Hanna

Helen Marasco said...

Thank you for the inspirational post and lovely photos. I have some of the magic patch mags that I put away and still refer to them occasionally. The snail is so cute !!!!!!!!

katherine said...

I am sure everything will start bursting out of the ground quickly quite soon. Apparently we are in for a cold snap but I walked the dog again at 6am in shorts and tshirt! What is with this weather. You have some gorgeous magazines and I love those little cards and think they would make a fantastic wall hanging too. Loved making that wren too. It was very quick and easy.

Frances Leate said...

These are great magazines always with lots to inspire like your post. Take care.

Helena said...

Radu, moc tě zdravím a kochám se - tolik krásné inspirace! A ty úžasné projekty...
Pohodový večer, Helena

Anneliese said...

Hi Radka, very informaltive. Thank you for your review. I will have a look into the French issue when I come across a magazine shop. I received the "Inspiration"l issue but - helas - it is in Germany whereas I am in France....

Käranån said...

Magazines full of inspiration! I like Leo the Snail and the "prison quilt".

Jen said...

Hello Radka .It was very interesting reading your post and the magazines have lots of interest in them. Love the blue bird and Leo the snail.

Anette-Ljusa drömmar på landet said...

Hello !

I'm sure you find a lot of inspiration in those magazines !

Have à nice day !

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

© http://pleasureinstitching.blogspot.co.uk 2010-2017