I am glad that you have found my blog and I hope you will take few minutes to explore.
Please leave a comment if you can. I love reading your messages, they brighten up my day :-)
I like to answer you all, but if you are "noreply-comment" blogger (if your email address is not linked to your profile), I will not be able to answer you, unless you leave your email address with your comment.
Welcome!



Saturday, 25 January 2014

bullar

What is to do on a blustery winter afternoon (besides stitching, of course)? 
Nothing beats the smell of home baking!

 I came across this recipe for Swedish bullar - buns. My Swedish friend gave me her recipe many years ago, when we were staying with them during our summer holiday. A million years and two house moves later, I just could not find it, so I am pleased I have seen this one. 
There are many versions of this recipe, but many involve measures in "cups" rather then weight ; I tend to stay away from these, measuring in cups is not something we in England are very used to. The question is - how big is the cup? Is it American or European cup? Too complicated! This version, thankfully, gives you both.


We have been eating bullar during our many holidays in Sweden, accompanied by strong Swedish coffee, of course. 


The bullar I made today are with cardamon and cinnamon. Most bullar I have had in Sweden are sprinkled with pearl sugar, not very easily obtained in England, unless you happen to live near Ikea. So I sprinkled my buns with demerara sugar (poor substitute) or flaked almonds.
As our Swedish friends will notice, I chose the easy option of just rolling up the dough and slicing it into rounds, rather then twisting it round my fingers, method which I have not yet mastered.


But the result - a wonderful smell all around the house - is just the same.

Now it is time for our "fika" .




I hope you will enjoy your Sunday, whatever your weather!


©pleasureinstitching.blogspot.co.uk 2014

11 comments:

  1. I can smell them from here they look delicious !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my I think I can smell them here in Australia! They do look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look delicious-- would have loved to join you with the fika.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mouthwatering, they look delicious, have not heard of pearl sugar must check it out next visit to Ikea, fortunately we have one not too fat away

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kanelbullar! Love them!
    I also use flaked almond and suger.
    I mix cardamon or cinnamon with butter and sugar. Somtimes I do them with vanilla, "Vaniljbullar"
    What a wonderful railway you have in your garder!
    Vivianne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Radka, Oh yes, this smell!! Simply wonderful! I make those bullars when our children are around - in summer - but I love them so much, too. And you know how we call them in German: "Snailnoodles", haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Whish I could come for a cup!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Voní až sem Radko! Moc krásné! A super vychytávka péct je v košíčcích...
    Pohodový večer, zdravím Helena

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the recipe and pics.
    Just what i was craving for. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look wickedly delicious and I am now feeling very hungry!

    Love your new header, and your post reminded me that I might just find my winter clematis in flower.
    It is and a joyful sight. Couldn't get a photo as the little darlings were waving in the wind.

    Now to resist the biscuit tin!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit! Your comments are always welcome:))
I like to reply to all your comment, so please leave your e-mail address, if it is not already liked to your blog profile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

© http://pleasureinstitching.blogspot.co.uk 2010-2017