Friday, 24 October 2014
St Germain quilt - small progress
You have seen the central block for St Germain quilt already.
There are no more blocks as such, the rest of the quilt is made up of two very wide borders - the orange peel applique border on the inside and an applique outside border, with flowers and leaves, similar to the central block.
I have started cutting out orange peel shapes for the inside border, I need 144 of them. The good thing about this quilt is that I can use lots of fabrics from my stash, which compliment fabrics in the central block.
I am using plain paper for the templates, and for ironing my small travel iron, which is ideal for pressing small shapes and sharp points.
I re-use the templates for the next batch, and I use Sewline glue stick for applique pieces already pressed, to keep the shape and mainly the points.
I will make all orange peel shapes first, before placing them on the border. This all takes time, but it will make the task easier when I'll start stitching.
This is a good job for a rainy day, like today.
I have been having some problems with leaving comments on some of your blogs, or even opening some. As some of you seem to experience the same, it looks like Blogger problem rather than mine.
I find that if I leave it and go back later or the following day, I can sometime leave a comment where I could not before, but it is frustrating, say the least.
So, if I have not visited, it could be that I am not able to :-)
Have a good weekend!