I am glad that you have found my blog and I hope you will take few minutes to explore.
Please leave a comment if you can. I love reading your messages, they brighten up my day :-)
I like to answer you all, but if you are "noreply-comment" blogger (if your email address is not linked to your profile), I will not be able to answer you, unless you leave your email address with your comment.
Welcome!



Monday, 7 June 2010

casalguidi embroidery

I have started this sample project in the Casalguidi embroidery. I had not heard about this type of embroidery before when I saw it in the book by Via Laurie. Originally whitework, this type of raised embroidery was developed in Tuscan village of Casalguidi in Italy in 19th century. It was popular for embellishing bags and clothes, as well as household linen. It always has a base of four-sided stitch, on which the embroidery is then worked. The flower in the middle is called Venetian rosette, worked with six buttonhole-stitch petals, and it is very distinctive of Casal-guidi embroidery.
There is a touch of stumpwork about it.
So far I have not been able to find any more books on the subject, only one on Amazon, which is astronomically expensive.




3 comments:

2smart said...

This looks really interesting, it's a technique I haven't heard of....please don't put temptation in my way to start something new :)I have just filled the house with felt etc! can't wait to see how you progress this piece
Sheila

Linda said...

Radka, looks like you are definitely enjoying this technique. I left a 'link' on CB forum for you [book specifically written on Casalguidi]. I see it is unavailable at the store in the link, but I can try to find it for you if you'd like. It's always been readily available here in Australia. Effie [author] is a member of the Embroiderers' Guild NSW, so perhaps her book/books are available via their 'store' The Threaded Needle. Happy stitching.

DIAN said...

I think this has been featured in past editions of Inspirations. I will have a look when I have time.

the piece you are doing looks lovely.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

© http://pleasureinstitching.blogspot.co.uk 2010-2017