I am glad that you have found my blog and I hope you will take few minutes to explore.
Please leave a comment if you can. I love reading your messages, they brighten up my day :-)
I like to answer you all, but if you are "noreply-comment" blogger (if your email address is not linked to your profile), I will not be able to answer you, unless you leave your email address with your comment.
Welcome!



Sunday, 25 January 2015

Oma's Blues, Kekfesto cotton and other blues = new large project



I love blue and white quilts, but I had never found a design I really wanted to make. Until now.
Oma's Blues is a new free BOM, which Ester Aliu released on her blog this month. 
If you click on the link above, you will see what I mean.
It is incredibly generous of her to share her design with us free, and typically of Esther, it is so beautiful.
The minute I saw it on her blog, I knew I want to make this quilt, although mine will be somewhat smaller, because I want to display it on our dining room wall and the original size would be too large. 
I must admit that I am rather excited about it.
It is based on Delftware, but of course there is so much other blue and white china around.
Most of my pieces are decorated in "Onion" pattern and come from Central Europe.
Esther releases her BOM patterns via her free Yahoo BOM group .



I started pulling blue fabrics from my stash, but that is never quite enough, is it?










Last week I happened to be down in Dorset, so trip to Hansons Fabrics in Sturminster Newton was a must, specially with the January sale on. You  just never walk out of there empty handed.

A visit to "The Hive" on the high street, here in Shepton Mallet, produced another addition to my blue collection.
The shop has recently moved from much smaller premises up the road; they now have so much more room to display not only their fabrics, knitting and crochet yarns, but also anything else you might need in the haberdashery department.
Do pop in if you are this way.
The new shop now has it's own cafe, with cakes and snacks, so there is no need to rush away.
Take a tour of their new website (link above), which also includes a list of their new workshops.










And being a rather grey Sunday, what better place to visit then Midsomer Quilting, where I could park DH in a comfy chair, with a cup of coffee, while I indulge.








But there is another kind of fabric I want to share with you.
Central Europe has a long tradition of production of printed fabrics on indigo background, following the arrival of indigo from the East.
The production was widespread throughout small towns and villages, and the fabric was used mainly for clothing. In my country of origin, "modrotisk" (blueprint) was produced mainly in the area of Southern Moravia (part of what is now Czech republic), but just across the border, in Hungary, is also a rich tradition of printing on blue fabric.
After the second world war, during the communist era, these cottage industries declined, and the only place you could buy modrotisk was in shops aimed at tourists. I myself have bought several large pieces and I hope to make a quilt from them one day. I would not dare to use them in this project as my fabrics are not colourfast.
Czech modrotisk is hard to get in UK, BUT there is a lady who brings into UK "Kekfesto cotton fabric" from Hungary.


Gilly,  up in Scotland, is promoting this wonderful craft and a click on her name will take you to her
website, which has a large selection of designs to buy.
You can also read more about the history and watch a video from Huston, showing quilts made from Kekfesto fabric by Hungarian quilters.
Do pop over, I dare you to resist!

Well done, Gilly!

My order arrived by return. It wasn't easy to choose, so many pretty designs. And Gilly tells me that they are colourfast.





I think I have enough blue fabric to choose from!








The last thing I want share with you today, is this book about Indigo.
I have found the story of indigo fascinating, and if you are interested in the history of textiles, you will too.
















©pleasureinstitching.blogspot.co.uk 2015

12 comments:

Klaudia said...

Love Radka,
beautiful fabrics you have chosen for your new Projekt.The dishes in the cupboard, just looks beautiful.

Thank you for your nice comment on the shelf.

Greetings Klaudia

Hanna said...

Dear Radka,
What a Project, incredible. I know the blueprints of Hungary, bought several years ago, now they are really hard to find.
Have fun starting to sew -
Hanna

Helen said...

Wow and wow fantastic collection of blues I will look forward to watching your progress Radka :)

Lin said...

Radka those fabrics from Gilly are just gorgeous! And I love the pattern you are going to use, it is going to be a fantastic quilt. xx

Juliettecherry said...

Hello Radka

I too love blue and white china and fabric. Your quilt will be lovely, I look forward to seeing it in progress.

Mizumatte said...

oh Radka so beautiful, those fabrics, all those blues colours and that pattern, so great but too difficult for me. I'm really looking forward to see the progress and of course the finised quilt. take care Jaana

Bunny said...

Oh my now that I have drooled all over my IPad looking at your beautiful blue fabric all I can say is lucky you. Nice to have found your blog.
Bunny

Joy V said...

Radka, absolutely looooove your blue fabrics. Ester's quilt is going to be beautiful - She has been to my local guild and bought She is also a great speaker and lovely person.

Roses, Lace and Brocante said...

Hello Radka
I love blues too and this quilt sounds inspirational - how kind of Esther to offer her pattern free.
Your ‘blues’ fabric selection is lovely.
I'm going back to look at your St Germaine progress! The 6th arrondissement of Saint-Germain-des-Prés is one of my favourites parts of Paris.
I'm emailing you!
Hugs
Shane

Katherine said...

So many gorgeous blue fabrics to choose from for your new BOM quilt. Love the design and it will set off all your beautiful china so well!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Oh my! I am so glad you are making Oma's blues. I am looking forward to seeing your progress. You have chosen some beautiful fabrics for this project.

Catherine said...

Hello Radka,
I am coming to the Oma's Blues BOM a bit late. I am still getting my fabrics together. This will be my first large appliqué project. I love your fabrics and thank you to the link to the Kekfesto fabrics. I might just order some.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

© http://pleasureinstitching.blogspot.co.uk 2010-2017