I am glad that you have found my blog and I hope you will take few minutes to explore.
Please leave a comment if you can. I love reading your messages, they brighten up my day :-)
I like to answer you all, but if you are "noreply-comment" blogger (if your email address is not linked to your profile), I will not be able to answer you, unless you leave your email address with your comment.
Welcome!



Saturday, 1 October 2011

Jane Hall

I would like to return to my last week's post. Not all the pictures I took at the Exeter show have come out. Sometime I find difficult to take pictures at shows, with the interference of all the other lighting.


One of the pictures missing was the one I took of Jane Hall's small stand. Jane Hall is an embroiderer and a fabric artist with an enormous talent. She studied Design Embroidery and now works from her studio in Dorset.
I had the pleasure to meet this petite young lady at a talk she gave to our embroidery group a couple of years ago. Her work is beautiful. She takes her inspiration from the nature around her and the results are fantastic three dimensional pieces of art, worked mainly in silk, fabric & thread; many varieties of flowers, leaves, moths, butterflies, dragonflies, cobwebs, beetles, lacewings, tree bark; they all form "the cloth of nature", as she calls it.

I bought her book " Reflections of Nature" some time later and I am glad I did, it is a shear pleasure to read and to look at.
This is not "how to" book, there are no projects and no instructions. It is Jane's creative journey, from when she was a little girl, having tea parties with fairies and looking for tree-men in the woods with her grandmother. Her world has probably always been full of magic and this reflects in her work. She is an inspiration to anyone doing or interested in embroidery.
Please have a look at her website here and while you are there, do take a look at her wedding dress.
There is also a short introduction to her DVD:  http://youtu.be/XEMQlw7YNSQ.

5 comments:

  1. HOLA RADKA!!!!! QUE TAL AMIGA???? DEJO ESTE COMENTARIO AQUI, PARA DECIRTE QUE BONITOS TODOS ESTOS TRABAJOS DE BOLILLOS. AQUI EN ESPAÑA, HAY MUCHA TRADICION DE BOLILLERAS. HACEN FERIAS Y CONCENTRACIONES, DONDE SE REUNEN, Y EXPONEN SUS TRABAJOS. YO ALUCINO CON ESTO DEL BOLILLO, PUES CREO QUE ES ALGO MUY MUY DIFICIL. ME ALEGRO DE SALUDARTE. BESOS DESDE CADIZ, ESPAÑA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane Hall is certainly an inspiration to all stitchers. I have not seen her work, but from what I see on the cover, and reading about her it is easy to come to that knowledge of her.

    I did like the picture of her with all her threads....if only we could all be that organised.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Radka, I have the book that you mentioned: it is probably the most beautiful book of needlework I have ever seen. It provides great inspiration although I could never do such fine work.

    You are lucky to have met Jane. I have a card signed by her when she visited one of the EG branches: it was sent to me by my friend Isabell who told Jane how much I admired her work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Radka! Not being much on an embroiderer myself, I am not familiar with Jane. However, I am a big admirer of embroidery, and that book looks fabulous. I am definitely going over to her site to have a look! Thank you for sharing.

    XOXO,

    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Radka, thanks for the link to Jane's site. Dian has told me many times how beautiful the book is. I have yet to purchase it, but I feel quite weak at the moment.....LOL.. I total enjoy seeing and reading the journey embroiderers walk, such an inspiration. Thank you again for reminding me of such a talented lady.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit! Your comments are always welcome:))
I like to reply to all your comment, so please leave your e-mail address, if it is not already liked to your blog profile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

© http://pleasureinstitching.blogspot.co.uk 2010-2017