I am glad that you have found my blog and I hope you will take few minutes to explore.
Please leave a comment if you can. I love reading your messages, they brighten up my day :-)
I like to answer you all, but if you are "noreply-comment" blogger (if your email address is not linked to your profile), I will not be able to answer you, unless you leave your email address with your comment.
Welcome!



Sunday, 15 April 2012

April Sunday

The weather has settled to a typical April one, still chilly, with sunshine and showers.
This morning's walk took us across the sunny fields, with definite signs of spring. We know that spring has arrived when blackthorn is in full flower.


This is an owl nesting box. Due to the decline of the traditional farming and many farm barns being converted to homes or holiday cottages, the barn owl's natural nesting places have disappeared.
Now the country people are being encouraged to put up owl nesting boxes, where possible.




If we are lucky, sometimes we can see this beautiful bird after dark, caught in the car headlights, as it glides gracefully across the fields.

The first flowers of the cuckoo flower or lady's smock; or as my grandmother called it - Tears of Virgin Mary.

You can also see more of this pretty spring flower here.

Our walk took us to the "secret pond", as I call it, as not many people know it is there.


The rather ugly spikes of the field horsetail are everywhere.



The garden is also waking up, although a long way to go yet to looking full.






A crab apple tree, planted in the autumn, is now in full bloom.


And inside, this beautiful fuchsia blossom.


Have a wonderful week!

13 comments:

Vlaďka said...

Miluju fuchsie a tahle je nádherná. U vás už všechno krásně kvete, je vidět, že je tam tepleji. Ale já se snad už také dočkám.
Sova je překrásný tvor. Vypadá něžně, i když myši si to myslet nebudou :-D
Hezký den!

Diane-crewe said...

another wonderful morning walk... thank you x

Gudrun said...

What would life be without spring and all flowers!
Hugs Gudrun

Linda said...

It's always such a pleasure having you share what you see in your local area Radka. I find the natural vegetation all fascinating, and love your 'secret pond'. Your owl is gorgeous too. We don't see many with the wide/round flat face.

Your garden is certainly springing to life, and I have to say how magnificent your fuchsia bloom is!! Thank you for always keeping us up to date with what you are seeing.

Frances Leate said...

Lovely photos and I really enjoyed seeing the Barn Owl. Take care.

Juliettecherry said...

Lovely photos Radka, I always enjoy your walks. That beautiful owl would be so tempting to stitch, his feathers almost look "stitched".

Jacky and Steph said...

Your photos are always lovely. I can't remember the last time I saw an owl, but our swallows have reappeared since yesterday. They nest in our barn at the back :)

l'alternativa said...

Che passeggiata meravigliosa, carissima Radka e quel laghetto.......un sogno
Baci
Emi

Iulia said...

beautiful post..kiss..iulia

...tiktakro... said...

I love the walks we have together...even we're thousands of km apart. I think you live in a small corner of heaven with all those natural beauties...how spoiled you are! take a deep breath of that clean air for me, too ...I will be grateful .
Hugs...
Teodora.

Anneliese said...

I enjoy, Radka, taking part in English spring - ours is always a bit behind. And the one in the French Vosges even more.

Roses, Lace and Brocante said...

Oh Radka
Your garden is bursting into Spring flowers - I'm envious!!
Such a pretty Crab Apple and Fuschia too.
I adore those barn owls you have in England - we saw them on a street in Bournemouth where they had a stand to promote the their protection - I signed the petition!!
xox
Shane

Nähmeise said...

I like to go on with your morning walks ! (in thought)Your garden is in a beautiful spring mood, in my country it is still cold ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

© http://pleasureinstitching.blogspot.co.uk 2010-2017