I am glad that you have found my blog and I hope you will take few minutes to explore.
Please leave a comment if you can. I love reading your messages, they brighten up my day :-)
I like to answer you all, but if you are "noreply-comment" blogger (if your email address is not linked to your profile), I will not be able to answer you, unless you leave your email address with your comment.
Welcome!



Saturday, 25 April 2015

show time


The last weekend in April - time again for the Creative Crafts Show at the Bath and West Showground.

I go to this one every year, because it is literally "down the road", but I do not expect too much from it. As the name suggests, the crafts here are various, but quite heavily tipped in the favour of papercrafts; not much here for  serious stitcher. This year I found one stand with DMC threads, no other threads in sight. Although there was quite an extensive choice of cross stitch kits, no other type of embroidery seemed to represented.
There are quite a few traders I see at the September show down in Exeter, who used to come here, but have given up, mainly because of the high rent, combined with poor facilities. Bath and West just has not moved with times. Three years ago at last we had a new quilt show, but that too moved elsewhere, after only two years.



But, being an eternal optimist, I attend, with the hope that this year I will find something new and exciting. 

To be fair, there were things which got my interest.
The first one is a multiple pompom maker from Multipom .
It is incredibly simple, do pop over to have a look (click on the link above).


My granddaughter loves making pompoms, but you know how all those pompom making gadgets can be little tedious and simply make only one pompom at a time.  Needless to say that she is very pleased with this new one, and we had a little production line going on here this afternoon.






The second very interesting thing I came across is a lucet. 
Yes, you might well ask, I also did not know this word existed. 
The Lucet Co is actually one man, who resurrected the art of "lucetting", an ancient method  of making a cord, brought to us originally by Vikings and which went out with Victorians.











I could not resist and in no time at all I was well away!
I have to work on my tention, but this has loads of possibilities; for anyone using a cord as an embellishment - you can use any threads, yarn, string; use multiple threads, include beads....
Again, the link above will take you to the website to find out more, and to learn about its history.





I am not serious bag maker, but this got my attention.


This is Flexiframe, a top rim for a bag; you simply pull it apart to open. It is very strong. When shut, it keeps the bag very secure.





Flexiframe is sold by Craft and Cotton.
At their stall I also bought these little charms/ embellishments.


There wasn't a large choice of patchwork fabric, but I did come home with some (of course),


and this lovely piece of "landscape" fabric.



There is always next year.......





©pleasureinstitching.blogspot.co.uk 2015

6 comments:

Hanna said...

Dear Radka,
I know what you are talking about, but anyway, a day out and at a show like that is not bad, isn't it?
Greetings Hanna

Lin said...

Well you certainly managed to find some treasures - the bag frame looks like a good find and the pompom maker looks fun. I have a wooden lucet from my C&G days many years ago. It sits with my collection of needlework tools and has not been used in many a year - maybe I should have another go. xx

margaret said...

good to see you found some new to you gadgets, I have the lucet must own up to not using it much and also the bag fasteners, but the pom pom maker is new to me, can see it is great for kids. Happy days when I used to work at this show.

Yvonne W said...

A craft show is always exciting-- and you did find some interesting things-- curious to see more re the lucet.

Katherine said...

ENjoy your purchases! I have seen a bone lucet in action last year at the sheep show I went to with Lance and they had a few other bits and bobs for wool preparation that the vikings used. It was very interesting to see those huge sharp wool combs in action and it has put me off ever wanting a set. Way too dangerous! So enjoy the lucet in safety.

Katherine said...

ENjoy your purchases! I have seen a bone lucet in action last year at the sheep show I went to with Lance and they had a few other bits and bobs for wool preparation that the vikings used. It was very interesting to see those huge sharp wool combs in action and it has put me off ever wanting a set. Way too dangerous! So enjoy the lucet in safety.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

© http://pleasureinstitching.blogspot.co.uk 2010-2017